Wednesday, February 4, 2009

High intensity interval training (HIIT)

I found a website that has a great schedule for beginners in sprinting/ HIIT. It has "8 weeks" of intervals, but the author states that they are more "levels" than "weeks." I'm not going to start sprinting quite yet since I am running my maximum weekly miles in preparation for the 1/2 marathon, but after the marathon, I will be starting interval training.

The first week will look life this:

-5 Min Warm up
-6 Sprint Intervals - 30 Seconds each
-6 Rest Intervals - 90 Seconds each
-5 Min Warm Down
-Do the routine 3 times in the week with a rest day in between each workout

The website uses a 1-10 intensity measurement. The sprint intensity for this week is 7. The author states that a 5 is equal to a light jog. I'll probably start on Week 2 or 3, but this is just an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment