Monday, February 9, 2009

Third Week Review

It's been three weeks since I officially started my 1/2 Marathon training schedule. Just this last Sunday, I ran the longest distance I have ever ran in my life - seven miles. Overall, it was a good run. Since I ran at a comfortable pace, I was cardiovasculary comfortable the whole time. In fact, at the end of the run, I felt hardly winded. The last mile or so started to get a little hard on the knees though. I somewhat expected this, since it took me about 80 minutes to complete. That's a lot of pounding on the pavement! A little sore in the morning. Nothing too bad.

Also, this last week, I incorporated a gym visit to do some weight lifting. My upper body was so weak that the entire rest of the week I was sore. Seriously, this morning was the first day since last Monday that my arms haven't been sore. Thus, I went to the gym this morning and did my upper body and also some leg work. I did some research and found that strength training with heavy weights can improve running economy. I believe what this means is that, when running long distances, our strides decrease over the duration of the run. By strengthening our legs with weights, our stride doesn't decrease as much.

This week--week four--I hope to incorporate two gym visits in addition to my training schedule: 3,5,3,8

No comments:

Post a Comment